Let’s be honest, nutrition is one of the more difficult changes our [[companyame1]] members go through, but it’s also the most rewarding. Healthy eating in general has become more confusing and more ridiculous as new diets and trends are constantly emerging.
Diets aren’t sustainable. Why? Because most diets focus on restricting something, like calories, carbs, or fat. Not only is this unhealthy, but also unrealistic. Our bodies are machines that need to be fueled the correct way to function properly. Limiting essential nutrients is bad for your physical and mental health. In addition, research found that only 1% of people who diet alone actually lose their excess weight, and more often, gain it all back and sometimes more.
Good nutrition is an important pillar of our program. Since our original 10-week challenge in 2001, Farrell's has had the same method when it comes to nutrition—keeping it easy! It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change in food choices.
How we eat, what we eat, and the “ingredients” put into our food have considerably changed over the years. We educate our members on making healthy choices and give them the tools and resources to be successful.
So, what makes Farrell's nutrition program unique?
- Food is fuel. This is the most important element of our nutrition program. Many people use food as an escape, a friend, or an indulgence. While it’s nice to indulge every once in a while, it’s become the norm in our society making obesity an epidemic. Our members are taught that food is fuel for our bodies and should be treated in that manner. Nothing more.
- We don’t count calories! Whew! Finally, a nutrition program that doesn’t keep a tally of calories! We don’t focus on calories because a lot of foods have empty calories. Also, a food may be higher in calories, but have a better fiber content and carb/protein ratio, which is more substantial than the calories.
- The right formula. We follow a specific method to set your carb/protein ratio for each meal based on your body composition. This helps you know how many carbs and how much protein you should be eating to fuel your body until your next meal or snack, allowing your body to stay in “burn mode” instead of “store mode.” We also teach about good and bad fat. We need to consume good fat as it supplies our bodies with needed nutrients and vitamins we can’t get from any other source.
- Eat less, but more often! Over the course of three hours after we eat, food enters our blood stream—known as blood sugar or your glycemic index. If too much fuel is consumed, our bodies go into “store mode” turning leftover sugars into fat. Too little and we start to starve our muscles. Our members have smaller, proportioned meals every three hours to replenish the tank, so to speak, to keep their body in “burn mode.”
- Fun Day. This is what makes our nutrition program flexible. Farrell's Fun Day is one day during the week (usually Sunday) where our members can celebrate their week’s successes. This is when they have those indulgences. You can eat what and how much you want on your Fun Day, as long as you give your Level 10 during the week with your workouts and nutrition plan!
- Water. Our bodies are mostly made up of water, so drinking adequate water is essential to our complete health. Water keeps our body and muscles hydrated, as well as helps ease muscle aches. Our members try to drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. Drinking a glass of water before eating will help fill you up faster, allowing you to keep portions under control.
So, you could spend lots of money on fad diets, specific meals that count points, counting calories or eliminating every delicious food from your meals.
Or for a fraction of the cost of a diet plan alone, you could sign up for Farrell's next 10-week session and discover how to live a healthy lifestyle and eat everyday, good-tasting food! You’ll learn how to eat healthy and participate in intense workouts that burn fat, build muscle, and boost your confidence and energy.
Find a location to get more information about our comprehensive program and to enroll! You won’t believe how much you can transform in as little as 10 weeks with Farrell’s.
FYI—You can eat bread each day with the Farrell's program too!